ESG Sentiment detection
esg-sentiment detector aims at categorizing ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) news, social media posts or CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) reports as negative or positive based on the actions or statements attributed to entities like companies, countries or institutions.
The detector also extracts the references to the above entities found in the text along with ESG data plus summary ESG performance data for the whole input document.
Hence, the detector aims at providing the users with an insightful ESG overview of a company, or set of companies, in order to add more context and useful information to structured data, which may be misleading if considered without any further reference.
Categorization works in a similar way to document classification and is based on a taxonomy.
Unlike the API resources dedicated to document classification, this is an information detector and the category tree of its taxonomy is not obtainable with API self-documentation resources like for document classification taxonomies, so it is indicated below.
The category tree includes all of the three macro areas of the ESG analysis, each of which is divided into a positive and a negative cluster for sentiment analysis purposes. A detailed layer of sub-categories for each macro area defines the relevant topics.
1000 Environment 1100 Positive 1110 Climate Impact 1120 Biodiversity and Environmental Footprint 1130 Environmental Opportunities 1140 Waste and Emissions Management 1200 Negative 1210 Climate Impact 1220 Waste and Emissions Management 1230 Biodiversity and Environmental Footprint 1240 Environmental Crime 1250 Greenwashing 2000 Social 2100 Positive 2110 Human Capital 2120 Workplace and Product Safety 2130 Cybersecurity 2140 Diversity and Inclusion 2160 Public Relations 2170 Community Opportunities 2200 Negative 2210 Human Capital 2220 Workplace and Product Safety 2230 Cybersecurity 2240 Discrimination 2250 Controversial Profile 3000 Governance 3100 Positive 3110 Business Ethics and Transparency 3120 Board Engagement 3130 Legal Compliance 3140 Product Stewardship 3200 Negative 3210 Business Ethics and Transparency 3220 Board Engagement 3230 Legal Compliance 3240 Product Stewardship
- Climate Impact: (positive/negative) climate change related behaviors, especially in terms of strategical decisions or corporate policies on the long term, mainly about—or linked to—CO2 emissions.
- Biodiversity and Environmental Footprint: (positive/negative) engagement towards the preservation of biodiversity and the use of natural resources.
- Environmental Opportunities: (positive only) innovations adopted by a company in order to protect the environment and fight climate change, as well as new business projects aiming at preserving the environment.
- Waste & Emissions Management: (positive/negative) management and reduction of waste production and emissions other than CO2.
- Environmental Crime: (negative only) illicit activities affecting the environment.
- Greenwashing: (negative only) deceptive ways of using green marketing.
- Human Capital: (positive/negative) social quality of the working environment.
- Workplace Safety and Product Safety: (positive/negative) refers to the security guaranteed on the workplace and the safety guaranteed for the product or service from the consumer's perspective.
- Cybersecurity: (positive/negative) data and privacy protection.
- Diversity and Inclusion: (positive only) inclusiveness and equality initiatives in terms of rights and representativeness.
- Controversial Profile: (negative only) cases in which a company public image or perception is controversial.
- Public Relations: (positive/negative) communication strategies.
- Community Opportunities: (positive only) community support investments.
- Discrimination: (negative only) events denoting discrimination in terms of rights and representativeness.
- Business Ethics and Transparency: (positive/negative) the quality and truthfulness levels of the information delivered to the public and the stakeholders, as well as the company compliance with basic business ethical principles, in terms of financial actions, reliability and competitiveness.
- Board Engagement: (positive/negative) overall engagement of board members, in terms of social and business activity.
- Legal Compliance: (positive/negative) compliance with the relevant legislation.
- Product Stewardship: (positive/negative) engagement towards product quality.
Along with the third level categories, the corresponding second and first level categories are always found in the categorization output. This allows you to see how the scores of the leaf categories are transmitted to the higher level categories in order to compute the overall sentiment indicators present in the ESG_SENTIMENT record of the extraction output (see below).
Only the third level categories, however, are directly triggered by the input text, so they are the only ones for which the positions to be highlighted in the text are provided.
The information extraction activity of the detector finds and returns records of extracted information. Each record contains data fields and its structure—the possible fields—is called template.
A template can be compared to a table and the template fields to the columns of the table, as shown in the following figure.
The detector extracts references found in the input text to entities performing ESG-related actions or making ESG-related statements.
Each extraction is a record of the ENTITY template with one or more occurrences of the following fields:
|CO2_emission_cut||CO2 emissions reduction (percentage)|
|CO2_emission_increase||CO2 emissions increase (percentage)|
|certification_obtained||An ESG certification|
|date||Date of CO2 or pollution reduction/increase|
|inference||Anaphora of the entity name|
|pollution_increased||Emissions increase, other than CO2 (percentage)|
|pollution_decreased||Emissions reduction, other than CO2 (percentage)|
|waste_increased||Waste production increase (percentage)|
|waste_decreased||Waste production decrease (percentage)|
|sanction||Amount of money due by an entity because of code or law infringements|
The detector also extracts summary ESG performance indicators for the whole document. They are records of the ESG_SENTIMENT template with these fields:
|overall_score||Overall ESG sentiment score (no range)|
|overall_sentiment||Overall sentiment polarity, either
|environment_sentiment||Environment sentiment polarity, either
|social_performance_score||Social sentiment score (no range)|
|social_sentiment||Social sentiment polarity, either
|governance_performance_score||Governance sentiment score (no range)|
|governance_sentiment||Governance sentiment polarity, either
- How to request information detection API resources.
- How to interpret the output of the